NZCS Mid-Career Cinematographer Gender Diversity Internship Opportunity in Auckland
The NZCS is pleased to announce we have negotiated a mid-career cinematographer placement on an international TV series based in Auckland, under our Cushla Lewis Gender Diversity Program, part-sponsored by the NZ Film Commission Talent Development Fund, the NZCS and the production company.
The Attachment provides the opportunity for a female intern to shadow the Directors of Photography on set and experience advanced aspects of the craft in a location-based shoot.
This will be a paid Attachment at $300 per day for 15 days over a three week period.
• The three week placement will commence in Auckland on Monday 29th May and finish on Friday, 16th June 2023
The placement is intended for Auckland region locals or candidates who can relocate themselves and self-accommodate. The selected candidate will be issued a standard contract by the Production Company and will join the payroll, per other contractors.
The aim of the Attachment:
The program aims to provide an opportunity for a female mid-career cinematographer to observe a working cinematographer mentor on a big budget international production. This program aims to provide another training pathway to the limited opportunities currently available by giving the intern valuable on-set experience, increased confidence and a renewed skill-set in the world of high quality television drama cinematography. This is not a creative input role, but will be a mentored position, closely shadowing the DP and key technicians at work, and observing the creative decision making process on set.
Note: Under the Cushla Lewis Gender Diversity Program, this internship is limited to applicants who are female or identify as female. The NZCS remains committed to a mandate to grow and diversify the pool of emerging cinematographers in New Zealand. We also encourage women from under-represented ethnic backgrounds to apply.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have industry experience and have a track record of working as an up-and-coming cinematographer on short films, music videos, web series, or other genres. The applicant may not necessarily have an exclusive career as a Director of Photography.
- The applicant must be a New Zealand citizen or Permanent Resident to comply with funding requirements.
- The applicant must be prepared to join the NZCS for a minimum of one year, as an associate member if chosen for the placement.
- This is a location shoot in Northwest Auckland, so the successful applicant must be able to self-drive to location at varying shoot schedule call-times. Travel time will be included in the 10hr inclusive day on set, as no overtime will be paid.
Please submit the following in electronic form only (Word files or PDF) by:
Fri, 12th May to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gender Diversity - Cinematographer Attachment, Auckland” in the subject line:
- A full CV, including your normal place of residence and ethnicity, residential status, and a filmography including links to a showreel or selection of completed works.
- A short written reference (from a senior screen industry practitioner or tutor)
- A proposal (maximum of 1-page) outlining why you wish to apply for the Attachment and what you hope to achieve from the opportunity.
A shortlist of suitable applicants will be forwarded to the production and an interview (in person or virtual) may be required, at which time further details of the production itself will be provided.
Applicants will be informed of a decision either way, by Thu 18th May, 2023 latest.