The NZCS Cushla Lewis Gender Diversity Program invites female (or those who identify as female) applicants to apply for a Camera Trainee position on a local feature film, shooting in Auckland from August 16th 2022.
The Attachment provides the opportunity to work under the guidance of the camera team in a fast-moving shoot, with a hands-on, full-time work role anticipated, revolving around the B cam 2nd AC /Camera Trainee role.
This will be a paid Attachment of $300 per day base rate, for approx 6 weeks of the 7 week shoot, from Tuesday to Saturday, with two prep days on 11th and 12th of August. Note, there will be approx. 5 unpaid down-days in the schedule where multi-camera is not required,
The placements are open to female candidates, throughout New Zealand but the successful candidate will have to agree to work ex- Auckland, as no travel or accommodation will be provided. Successful applicants will have to agree to join the NZCS, as an associate member but if anyone has genuine financial hardship as an obstacle to becoming an NZCS member, contact me confidentially, as we may have some sponsorship options available.
The selected candidate will be issued a standard contract by the Production Company, will join the payroll per other contractors, and will also sign an agreement with the NZCS.
The aim of the Attachment is:
To provide an opportunity for a camera trainee to increase their confidence and skill -set through a hands-on role with an experienced drama camera team, and to provide another training pathway to the limited opportunities currently available.
This is not a creative input role, but as the junior member of the camera team there will be the chance to upskill in professional work practice, technical gear knowledge and observe the creative decision making process in the field.
This mentorship is made possible with sponsorship from the New Zealand Film Commission and the NZCS. We remain committed to a mandate to grow and diversify the pool of upcoming camera talent in New Zealand, to redress the current gender imbalance, and to encourage young women to pursue a goal of becoming recognised cinematographers.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a member of the NZCS, or be prepared to join if successful.
- Have a track record of working as an up-and-coming camera trainee/camera assist on web series, short films, music videos, or other genres. The applicant may not necessarily yet have a full-time career as a camera assistant/trainee.
- Provide a current Vaccination Certificate and be prepared to abide by all Covid 19 safety protocols on-set (mask wearing, safe distancing etc)
- Have a current clean, full Drivers Licence
- Priority will be given to applicants who meet the criteria, and have not previously received an NZCS placement
Please submit the following in electronic form only (Word file or PDF) by 5.00pm, Saturday, 30th Julyto firstname.lastname@example.org with “Camera Trainee Attachment” in the subject line:
- Your NZCS Membership Number (or intention to join if successful)
- A CV of industry experience, and any tertiary education highlights
- A written reference (from an experienced screen industry practitioner or tutor)
- A proposal (maximum of 1-page) outlining why you want to do the Attachment and what you look to achieve from the opportunity.
- A copy of your Vaccination Certificate and Driver’s licence
A shortlist will be developed from applicants and an interview (in person, phone or Zoom) may be required, at which time further details of the production itself will be provided.
We will endeavour to inform applicants of a decision by Tuesday 2nd August 2022